March 7, 2018

Sign Up for the Ascend 2018 2nd Annual "Nerd Crawl"

Last year, I put together a little group to hit the town during Episerver Ascend 2017. At the time, I was working with our partner, Brightfind, and managed to pull together about 15 people to join me on a tour of the pubs and sports bars in walking distance of the resort.

This year... wow has this little enterprise grown! I sit here now typing about a get-together that has officially doubled in size (so far) and, well, I'd love to have more of you join in on the fun.

If you're already sold on joining, follow the magic hyperlink. If you'd like to know more, read on!
https://www.eventbrite.com/e/episerver-ascend-nerd-crawl-non-nerds-welcome-tickets-43725474070


As a bit of an introvert (who sometimes plays an extrovert in front of crowds or boardrooms), I would go out with the sales or marketing teams and, frankly, always felt like a wallflower attendee. Places would be too loud or I would have a hard time connecting with the people around me. While I'm probably better at those situations now, it's taken a lot of work. It still does.

Why not, instead, go out with other developers, makers, Dr. Who fanboys, Star Trek nerds, or crazy people who stylize themselves after LOTR characters (ahem)? Sounds like a great time to me. Do it over a beer, or perhaps several, and that, to me, amounts to a wonderful night.

When we did this last year, it was low-key, relaxed, and we all enjoyed in conversations about everything from movies to religion. And, because it was vegas, there were...well, other things going on.

The point is that it's a no-pressure environment. You won't be forced to dance, feel pressured to have a drink you don't want, and you'll get to meet and hang out with others who share some of your own passions for pop-culture, technology, or whatever.

It became a great way to connect people who otherwise aren't connected and, after years of attending these events, I've found that some of my favorite people in the world live one or more states away from me. This, to me, is an opportunity for me to share that experience with you. To help you break the ice at a big event, introduce you to new folks at other companies, and, hopefully, create life-long friends through the one thing that we all simply happen to share: Episerver.

Join us for a night walking the Vegas strip, having a good time among friends.

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/episerver-ascend-nerd-crawl-non-nerds-welcome-tickets-43725474070

I prefer to post this image without meaningful caption or context.

2 comments:

Kasper Retvig said...

Well I can't claim too be a nerd and I couldn't code if my life depended on it, but I might join you anyway (if you'll have me) because I think it would be a great crowd.

eGandalf said...

You're more than welcome, Kasper! Make sure to register so you get updates prior to setting forth.